Patriotism vs. jingoism

POLITICAL DISCUSSION FORUMS Forums US NEWS & OPINION Patriotism vs. jingoism

• Creator
    Topic
    Capricorn
    Keymaster

Whereas patriotism connotes familial love of country (deriving from the ancient Greek word for “fatherland”), jingoism connotes something analogous to nepotism. To understand the difference, then, it is helpful to consider the difference between good and bad ways of loving one’s family.

Good parents, for instance, love their children and want them to do well in life, so they prepare them as best they can for life’s challenges, support them through their difficulties and celebrate their accomplishments. Certainly, they care more about their own children’s success than that of others. But good parents do not try to disadvantage other children so that their own can more easily prevail. Good parents are concerned about treating others fairly. Additionally, they want their children to succeed on their own merits, not because of unfair advantage.

Nepotism, too, involves loving one’s own children, but in a perverse way. Nepotistic parents recognize no limits on what they might do to promote their own children’s interests. They are willing, then, to trample over others in order to ensure their children’s success. Not only does this demonstrate an unacceptable lack of concern for the legitimate claims of others, it also betrays a lack of faith in the abilities of one’s own children. Nepotism emerges when one believes one’s children cannot succeed on a level playing field.

Patriotism, properly understood, is an analogue of good parenting. We love our country because it is ours, and we want it to be the best it can. We celebrate its successes and support it through its challenges. But we are committed to playing fair, both because we respect the legitimate interests of other people and because we want our nation and our fellow citizens to succeed on their own merits.

The Trump administration, by contrast, embodies jingoism. While its bullying attitude on trade and foreign policy is concerning in its own ways, its domestic agenda is driving the culture war.

Viewing 17 replies - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Desert_Fox
    Participant

Funny you would start a thread like this, a person who never in their life wore a military uniform or shown any loyalty to this country…

We have reason to question your claim of military service and as for loyalty to country; you think worshiping a wannabe despot is loyalty to this country. What a fucking fool that makes you.

". . . those who claim to know the Mind of God, who will tell you what God thinks and how He will judge and condemn others—those people are the greatest of all blasphemers." Aloysius Xingu Leng Pendergast

Desert_Fox
    Participant

I swear that I will abide by this oath I took so if required by law, I will serve in any shape or form if my country, USA, requires or asks me to do so:…

Capricorn refers to The Oath of U.S. Citizenship and Allegiance to the U.S. Constitution

No muslim would honor this oath. Indeed, islam requires that any muslim that would voluntarily be bound by this oath to be targeted as an apostate, and murdered for the same…..unless, of course, it’s merely camouflage amidst the kafirs….

As examples of nepotism, Hunter Biden via Quid Pro Joe Biden….Insane John McCain via his father ( and Admiral ) and grandfather ( also an Admiral ).

Hillary via Bubba. Chelsea via H & B. The Dingells. The spawn of Pelosi….

Of course, you pretend that President Trump did not take the Oath of Office when he was sworn in as President: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

IMO, the continued smears, lies, derogatory attacks on President Trump, his family, associates, supporters, conservatives brand those who do so as seditious advocates of the destruction of our sovereign Constitutional Republic. That leftist mob is enabled by the very same Constitutional freedoms that they seek to destroy.

You prove Cappy’s point.

". . . those who claim to know the Mind of God, who will tell you what God thinks and how He will judge and condemn others—those people are the greatest of all blasphemers." Aloysius Xingu Leng Pendergast

Desert_Fox
    Participant

I swear that I will abide by this oath I took so if required by law, I will serve in any shape or form if my country, USA, requires or asks me to do so: “I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure (or renounce) all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; <span style=”color: #800000;”>that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;</span> so help me God.” Can’t say the same of the draft dodgers like Trump, who did not serve when required by law.

The key word here is ‘asked to’ so, you won’t voluntary do any for this country unless “requires or asks me”…Since you have called me names such as “piece of shit and dim bulb I am going to tell you what you are, a leech…You came to this country because you saw gold in the streets…There are many things you can do to help this country such as voluntary work, which is something you can do that is helping bring about a positive outcome for someone…

Don’t you feel you should give something back?

You suggest Cappy should give back to this country while you detract from it beginning with our dignity.

Desert_Fox
    Participant

Of course there are other ways to give back.. I worked part time in a homeless center and I was a member of a volunteer fire department…

How do/did you give back?

Your posts are so full of lies why should we assume this is not just another one?

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

Of course there are other ways to give back.. I worked part time in a homeless center and I was a member of a volunteer fire department… How do/did you give back?

Your posts are so full of lies why should we assume this is not just another one?

Why should I care what an asshole like you thinks? Laughing at you…

BadBoyz
    Participant

Of course there are other ways to give back.. I worked part time in a homeless center and I was a member of a volunteer fire department… How do/did you give back?

What Harpo said translated: I scrubbed floors, and toilets at the homeless shelter where I lived, and dumpster dove in the fire departments dumpster for my fabulous wardrobe… 😆😂🤣

"FLUSH THE TURD NOVEMBER 3RD"

BadBoyz
    Participant

Funny you would start a thread like this, a person who never in their life wore a military uniform or shown any loyalty to this country…

Desert_Fox
    Participant

Harpo accuses Cappy of shirking his duty to serve in the military it would seem but gives a pass to a blatant draft dodger and his non serving family. Harpo’s best quality is his hypocrisy which he so devoutly adheres to. His qualities go down hill after that.

Gur
    Participant

Who will answer the call?

British Imam Calls on Believers to Aspire to Be More Like Terrorist Leader Qassem Soleimani

Capricorn posted on November 15, 2019 at 09:15

Adult language is permitted if it is contextual and not aimed personally at a poster.

Capricorn
    Keymaster

I am just curious. By what definition was Soleimani a “terrorist”? Because a terrorist attacks civilian targets for a political outcome.

Terrorist Definition:

The use of violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals.

He was a commander in an enemy country’s military. I researched and I haven’t seen evidence that he deliberately targeted civilians. I have heard him being labeled as a terrorist by the same people who accuse Iran for the 9/11 attack instead of Saudi Arabia/Egypt or UAE.

I want to be educated on why he was a terrorist? It is a sincere question.

Desert_Fox
    Participant

Why should I care what an asshole like you thinks? Laughing at you…

You sure whine a lot for a guy who claims to be laughing.

BadBoyz
    Participant

I say bullshit to “Nepotism emerges when one believes one’s children cannot succeed on a level playing field”.

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

I am just curious. By what definition was Soleimani a “terrorist”? Because a terrorist attacks civilian targets for a political outcome. Terrorist Definition:

The use of violence or the threat of violence, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political goals.

He was a commander in an enemy country’s military. I researched and I haven’t seen evidence that he deliberately targeted civilians. I have heard him being labeled as a terrorist by the same people who accuse Iran for the 9/11 attack instead of Saudi Arabia/Egypt or UAE. I want to be educated on why he was a terrorist? It is a sincere question.

it’s a term meant to be used for political leverage much like the term assault rifle… It doesn’t have an actual meaning or the meaning is so broad as to be useless….

Desert_Fox
    Participant

I am just curious. By what definition was Soleimani a “terrorist”? Because a terrorist attacks civilian targets for a political outcome. Terrorist Definition:

He was a commander in an enemy country’s military. I researched and I haven’t seen evidence that he deliberately targeted civilians. I have heard him being labeled as a terrorist by the same people who accuse Iran for the 9/11 attack instead of Saudi Arabia/Egypt or UAE. I want to be educated on why he was a terrorist? It is a sincere question.

it’s a term meant to be used for political leverage much like the term assault rifle… It doesn’t have an actual meaning or the meaning is so broad as to be useless….

Do you have hopes of ever posting something that makes sense?

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

Do you have hopes of ever posting something that makes sense?

Thanks for my laugh of the the day, with your poor reading comprehension I totally understand why your don’t understand many posts…

I know you lied when you posted many times you are a former member of Mensa…Wait, maybe the reason you are a former member is that found out you are a lying phony…LOL

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

Harpo accuses Cappy of shirking his duty to serve in the military it would seem but gives a pass to a blatant draft dodger and his non serving family. Harpo’s best quality is his hypocrisy which he so devoutly adheres to. His qualities go down hill after that.

First of all, your poor reading comprehension is showing again…I asked Cappy since he didn’t serve in the military what did he do to give back to this country…

Cappy answer that question and he is doing more than most people that are natural citizens…

Desert_Fox
    Participant

First of all, your poor reading comprehension is showing again…I asked Cappy since he didn’t serve in the military what did he do to give back to this country…

Cappy answer that question and he is doing more than most people that are natural citizens…

It’s easy to see what you said and easier to see what you meant. For a lying asshole such as yourself you can’t hide behind bullshit; the smell gives you away.

Viewing 17 replies - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.