Patriotism vs. jingoism

POLITICAL DISCUSSION FORUMS Forums US NEWS & OPINION Patriotism vs. jingoism

• Creator
    Topic
    Capricorn
    Keymaster

Whereas patriotism connotes familial love of country (deriving from the ancient Greek word for “fatherland”), jingoism connotes something analogous to nepotism. To understand the difference, then, it is helpful to consider the difference between good and bad ways of loving one’s family.

Good parents, for instance, love their children and want them to do well in life, so they prepare them as best they can for life’s challenges, support them through their difficulties and celebrate their accomplishments. Certainly, they care more about their own children’s success than that of others. But good parents do not try to disadvantage other children so that their own can more easily prevail. Good parents are concerned about treating others fairly. Additionally, they want their children to succeed on their own merits, not because of unfair advantage.

Nepotism, too, involves loving one’s own children, but in a perverse way. Nepotistic parents recognize no limits on what they might do to promote their own children’s interests. They are willing, then, to trample over others in order to ensure their children’s success. Not only does this demonstrate an unacceptable lack of concern for the legitimate claims of others, it also betrays a lack of faith in the abilities of one’s own children. Nepotism emerges when one believes one’s children cannot succeed on a level playing field.

Patriotism, properly understood, is an analogue of good parenting. We love our country because it is ours, and we want it to be the best it can. We celebrate its successes and support it through its challenges. But we are committed to playing fair, both because we respect the legitimate interests of other people and because we want our nation and our fellow citizens to succeed on their own merits.

The Trump administration, by contrast, embodies jingoism. While its bullying attitude on trade and foreign policy is concerning in its own ways, its domestic agenda is driving the culture war.

" All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force. " — George Orwell.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Johnny Yuma
    Participant

I know you hate it but President Trump puts the United States first…

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

I say bullshit to “Nepotism emerges when one believes one’s children cannot succeed on a level playing field”.

Capricorn
    Keymaster

LOL.

He puts himself first, then Ivanka & Jared, then Uday, Qusay…

" All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force. " — George Orwell.

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

Funny you would start a thread like this, a person who never in their life wore a military uniform or shown any loyalty to this country…

Capricorn
    Keymaster

Funny you would start a thread like this, a person who never in their life wore a military uniform or shown any loyalty to this country…

As I posted, you are a dim bulb and do not know the difference between patriotism and jingoism.

And those who wore the uniform does not necessarily make them patriotic. Many white supremacists join the military too – not for the love of the country but for the hate of other countries.

Your posts indicate that you put Trump and white race privileges above the country. You hate Americans, and you are a true fucking jingo like Trump. You voted for Trump because you think that Trump is going to make you more privileged than other Americans because of the color of your skin.

This LBJ quote applies to you:

“If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”

Capricorn
    Keymaster

And you probably wore the uniform because you were in the draft age. At least you didn’t get a fabricated “bone spurs” reason to dodge the draft, I give that credit to you unlike Trump who you worship.

Capricorn
    Keymaster

I swear that I will abide by this oath I took so if required by law, I will serve in any shape or form if my country, USA, requires or asks me to do so:

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure (or renounce) all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

Can’t say the same of the draft dodgers like Trump, who did not serve when required by law.

Gur
    Participant

I swear that I will abide by this oath I took so if required by law, I will serve in any shape or form if my country, USA, requires or asks me to do so:…

Capricorn refers to The Oath of U.S. Citizenship and Allegiance to the U.S. Constitution

No muslim would honor this oath.  Indeed, islam requires that any muslim that would voluntarily be bound by this oath to be targeted as an apostate, and murdered for the same…..unless, of course, it’s merely camouflage amidst the kafirs….

As examples of nepotism, Hunter Biden via Quid Pro Joe Biden….Insane John McCain via his father ( and Admiral ) and grandfather ( also an Admiral ).

Hillary via Bubba.  Chelsea via H & B.  The Dingells.  The spawn of Pelosi….

Of course, you pretend that President Trump did not take the Oath of Office when he was sworn in as President: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

IMO, the continued smears, lies, derogatory attacks on President Trump, his family, associates, supporters, conservatives brand those who do so as seditious advocates of the destruction of our sovereign Constitutional Republic.  That leftist mob is enabled by the very same Constitutional freedoms that they seek to destroy.

Capricorn posted on November 15, 2019 at 09:15

Adult language is permitted if it is contextual and not aimed personally at a poster.

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

I swear that I will abide by this oath I took so if required by law, I will serve in any shape or form if my country, USA, requires or asks me to do so: “I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure (or renounce) all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; <span style=”color: #800000;”>that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;</span> so help me God.” Can’t say the same of the draft dodgers like Trump, who did not serve when required by law.

The key word here is ‘asked to’ so, you won’t voluntary do any for this country unless “requires or asks me”…Since you have called me names such as “piece of shit and dim bulb I am going to tell you what you are, a leech…You came to this country because you saw gold in the streets…There are many things you can do to help this country such as voluntary work, which is something you can do that is helping bring about a positive outcome for someone…

Don’t you feel you should give something back?

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

And you probably wore the uniform because you were in the draft age. At least you didn’t get a fabricated “bone spurs” reason to dodge the draft, I give that credit to you unlike Trump who you worship.

I was never drafted…

Capricorn
    Keymaster

I swear that I will abide by this oath I took so if required by law, I will serve in any shape or form if my country, USA, requires or asks me to do so: “I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure (or renounce) all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; <span style=”color: #800000;”>that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;</span> so help me God.” Can’t say the same of the draft dodgers like Trump, who did not serve when required by law.

The key word here is ‘asked to’ so, you won’t voluntary do any for this country unless “requires or asks me”…Since you have called me names such as “piece of shit and dim bulb I am going to tell you what you are, a leech…You came to this country because you saw gold in the streets…There are many things you can do to help this country such as voluntary work, which is something you can do that is helping bring about a positive outcome for someone… Don’t you feel you should give something back?

I do give back but since I am not a conservative, I don’t want to boast or advertise.

But specially in the age of military industrial complex, voluntary military service is not necessarily a platform to “give something back”? There are other ways to do it, and I do. But because you are a dumb racist motherfucker, it does not make me a selfish and petty person like the racist you worship as Dear Leader and Jesus Christ part deaux.

When you do some act of charity, don’t announce it with a flourish of trumpets as the heathen do in synagogues and in the streets. I tell you they do it just to win admiration from men. No, when you do some act of charity, don’t let your right hand know what your left hand is doing. Your good deed must be done in secret.

Capricorn
    Keymaster

I swear that I will abide by this oath I took so if required by law, I will serve in any shape or form if my country, USA, requires or asks me to do so:…

Capricorn refers to The Oath of U.S. Citizenship and Allegiance to the U.S. Constitution No muslim would honor this oath. Indeed, islam requires that any muslim that would voluntarily be bound by this oath to be targeted as an apostate, and murdered for the same…..unless, of course, it’s merely camouflage amidst the kafirs….

Oh I didn’t know that. Must be in the white nationalist Quran of the extreme rightwing Republicans which I haven’t read.

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

Of course there are other ways to give back.. I worked  part time in a homeless center and I was a member of a volunteer fire department…

How do/did you give back?

Capricorn
    Keymaster

Of course there are other ways to give back.. I worked part time in a homeless center and I was a member of a volunteer fire department… How do/did you give back?

Charity, donations for behavioral therapy for kids with autism, monthly donations to children’s cancer hospital, monthly donations to Wounded Warrior Project, donations to UNICEF, organize blood drives once a year for American Red Cross, (sometimes me and wife don’t get qualified to give blood because I travel to India but my son who doesn’t go with us donates yearly on the blood drive)…

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

Funny, when talking about draft dodgers you people never bring up Bill Clinton…This turkey didn’t want to go to Vietnam but he raped a woman…

Capricorn
    Keymaster

Funny, when talking about draft dodgers you people never bring up Bill Clinton…This turkey didn’t want to go to Vietnam but he raped a woman…

For every false accusation of  rape you make about Bill Clinton, there are 20 true accusations that apply to Trump. Trump even raped his own wife for crying out loud.

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

Of course there are other ways to give back.. I worked part time in a homeless center and I was a member of a volunteer fire department… How do/did you give back?

Charity, donations for behavioral therapy for kids with autism, monthly donations to children’s cancer hospital, monthly donations to Wounded Warrior Project, donations to UNICEF, organize blood drives once a year for American Red Cross, (sometimes me and wife don’t get qualified to give blood because I travel to India but my son who doesn’t go with us donates yearly on the blood drive)…

Good job on the Wounded Warrior Project and it does look like you give back…

Johnny Yuma
    Participant

For every false accusation of rape you make about Bill Clinton, there are 20 true accusations that apply to Trump. Trump even raped his own wife for crying out loud.

I believe Juanita when she says Bill Clinton raped her…

BadBoyz
    Participant

Trump’s been raping Ivanka since he stole her virginity as a child. Was Trump sharing her with or was he just showing her off to his buddy Epstein?

Her eyes tell it all, she’s not comfortable in this situation.

#TRAITORTRUMP4PRISON!

Desert_Fox
    Participant

That is why he has his administration actively work toward pollution of the environment? It’s why he says fuck you to our allies and embraces our enemies? It’s why he takes every bit of coin from the taxpayer to fatten his own bottom line? It’s why he ignores and even flaunts violation of the Constitution?

If that’s putting the U.S. first then I wish he would put us last.

". . . those who claim to know the Mind of God, who will tell you what God thinks and how He will judge and condemn others—those people are the greatest of all blasphemers." Aloysius Xingu Leng Pendergast

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.